Cephus' Corner

A Place to Share my Geeky Side With the World. Comics, movies, TV, collecting, you name it, I indulge in it.

Non-Sport Cards: Roger Dean - Cephus' Corner

Non-Sport Cards: Roger Dean

December 22nd, 2013

Roger_DeanPrimarily known for his organic artwork and progressive rock album covers, this week’s focus is on the work of Roger Dean, British-based  artist, designer, architect, and publisher.  Dean has a different view of his work, he says  “I don’t really think of myself as a fantasy artist but as a landscape painter.” Certainly his work incorporates organic and natural shapes, making a visual style all his own.  He’s been the primary album artist of groups like Yes, Asia and Uriah Heep over the years, as well as a furniture designer, he was responsible for the “retreat pod” chair used in the film version of A Clockwork Orange.

Of course, in the early 90s, they made a card set of Dean’s work, they made card sets of every sci-fi/fantasy artist they could license.  Cardmaker FPG put out a 90-card set in 1993, plus a number of chase cards that are not depicted in this set.  Among them were a 5-card “Metallic Storm” set, a 5-card “Gold Metallic Storm” set that served as case-inserts, 1000 signed cards byDean and a prize card for an original painting by Dean that were packed 1:480,000 packs.  Needless to say, we didn’t get the painting.

Once again, remember you can click on any of the images below to see them closer up. Thanks for your time and interest in this classic non-sport card set, see you again next week.

Comments

8 Comments

RSS
  • Dave says on: October 24, 2014 at 7:51 am

OK, so who got the painting?? I have an unopened box….should I crack it open or is the painting gone?

• Cephus says on: October 24, 2014 at 9:05 am

I have no idea, I couldn’t find any mention of anyone winning the painting but that really doesn’t mean anything. The chances of your box being the winning box are low though, just based on percentages.

• Arturo Puerta says on: August 13, 2017 at 11:20 pm

HI Cephus…greetings from Monterrey, Mexico….I’m a huge fan of Roger Dean…and I want to ask you a favor….could you scan and post the reverse of the cards? thanks in advance!!

• Cephus says on: August 14, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Sure, although they’re packed from a move so I’d have to dig them out. I’ll try to remember to get that done for you.

• Arturo Puerta says on: August 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thanks!!

• Cephus says on: August 21, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I did dig down to the box that has all of the cards, I’ll try to get into it in the next day or two. Haven’t forgotten you.

• Arturo Puerta says on: August 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Great!!!

• Cephus says on: September 1, 2017 at 7:32 pm

There you go. Sorry it took so long, the box was at the very bottom of a big pile of boxes, then once I dug down to it, I had to go through the dozen or so binders in the box and it was the very last one. Then the scanner decided it didn’t want to talk to the house network anymore and it was problematic getting the scans done. But finally, I got it done. Hope you enjoy.