Cephus' Corner

A Place to Share my Geeky Side With the World. Comics, movies, TV, collecting, you name it, I indulge in it.

Music Comparisons: Queensryche vs. Pink Floyd - Cephus' Corner

Music Comparisons: Queensryche vs. Pink Floyd

January 11th, 2014

pink-floydNow I’m not a huge music fan, I haven’t been for many years.  In the car, I listen to talk radio almost exclusively unless there’s an annoying host on when I might switch to a local music station.  The two that I really bother with are both “classic rock” stations, by which they mean “music from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s”.  That’s fine, if there’s any music I really like, it comes from that time period.

queensryche_logoToday, I was listening to one of those stations while trying to avoid Rush Limbaugh and they had Queensryche’s Silent Lucidity on.  That is one of my favorite songs of all time.  There are very few songs that can elicit a response from me consistently but that’s one of them.  I can listen to it 10 times in a row and get an emotional jolt every single time.  Even when it was released back in 1990, I recognized that it shared a lot in common with Pink Floyd songs from “The Wall” era.  It’s never struck me as a copy, maybe not even as a direct homage, but I can easily imagine Roger Waters singing Silent Lucidity (and think that would be really f’ing awesome if he did).  And of course, if I had to pick one song from Pink Floyd that’s my favorite, Comfortably Numb is it.  Therefore, it’s a win-win situation for me.

However, when I got home, I hopped online to see if anyone else had made that connection.  It seemed completely obvious to me, but obvious things sometimes go straight over other people’s heads.  To my surprise, not only had other people recognized it, but lots of them were screaming that Queensryche had ripped off Pink Floyd.  That strikes me as completely ridiculous but I wanted people to have a chance to weigh in.

Therefore, in one of the very few music-related posts you’re likely to see here, give a listen to the two songs and see for yourself.  Did Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche rip off David Gilmour and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd when he wrote Silent Lucidity?  Let me know what you think.

Silent Lucidity – Queensryche (1990)

Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd (1980)

Comments

21 Comments

RSS
  • DENNIS MORRISON says on: October 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Both have similarities, but very unique differences as well. Love them both. PF was and always will be the greatest band ever. Queensryche is awesome too but not even close to PF.

• Jake says on: March 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Actually there are a couple of other comparisons I would make where Queensryche sound like Pink Floyd. The intro to ‘Eyes of a stranger’ is similar to Pink Floyd’s ‘Empty spaces’ from the Wall. The guitar intro in Queensryche’s ‘The Mission’ is almost identical to classical guitar section in Pink Floyd’s ‘Is there anybody out there?’ Both great bands though.

• griffin4492013 says on: July 6, 2015 at 9:59 am

I heard this song for the first time July 4th, 2015. It is an awesome song. Yes, at first I thought it was Pink Floyd. I am a big fan of Pink Floyd. I don’t care if it does sound similar, and if he was inspired by them, so what.

• Jake says on: July 7, 2015 at 2:24 am

My reply to original post was not a criticism of Queensryche. As musicians we are all influenced by someone. Queensryche and Pink Floyd are both excellent bands and to say one is better than the other is incorrect and I am sure they have and will go on to influence many others as they have me 🙂

• Cephus says on: July 7, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Agreed, I don’t play the “this band is better than that band” thing. If you like it, great for you. If not, don’t listen. It really isn’t that difficult.

• Ell says on: December 27, 2015 at 10:58 am

It’s an homage to Pink Floyd.

• Allison Parks says on: January 23, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Maybe you will get a better idea of what’s what by getting the sheet music for whichever songs you think are that similar at compare notes. I love Pink Floyd and Queensryche, and know all of the songs you spoke of. They are differnt songs and styles entirely. Nobody ripped anybody off.

• Cephus says on: January 23, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I didn’t say anyone did, that’s just a common accusation that you see online. I love them both too.

• Andy says on: March 10, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I had heard at the time Queensryche had tried to recruit Roger Waters to play bass on silent Lucidity but that his record company at the time would not allow it. I have no idea if that was true but I had heard it. I believe they were very open about being Pink Floyd fans.

• Mark says on: August 19, 2016 at 9:15 am

The beginning guitar of Silent Lucidity sounds like the beginning of a song in the 70s. Can’t remember which one.

• KHARON says on: September 9, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Listen to both songs several times. I don’t believe Silent Lucidity is a direct violation of Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Queensryche was influenced by Floyd in the style and setting of music ~•~

• Teresa says on: October 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm

For myself there is a strong comparison to Pink Floyd’s “A Momentary Lapse of Reason”.

• Joe Campisi says on: October 22, 2016 at 10:50 am

When l first heard Silent Lucidity l literally thought it was Pink Floyd. Great song, but way too similar to not be derivative. And to me, it sounds more like “Mother” actually.

• Zathras says on: November 18, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Michael Kamen composed the orchestra parts for both song

• Cephus says on: November 19, 2016 at 10:35 am

That would explain it, wouldn’t it?

• Cristina Manzotti says on: January 19, 2017 at 1:03 am

I’ve discovered Silent Lucidity just a couple of days ago and I immediately recognised the Pink Floyd sound. Songs like “Mother” and “Confortably Numb” came up in my mind and I wondered if Queensryche did it on purpose to pay a sort of tribute to Pink Floyd. Everything’s very similar: the voice, the music, the pauses, the sounds. It’s so obvious that it can’t be an accident! Nevertheless, I love this song! (and I love Pink Floyd of course!)

• John Espinosa says on: May 31, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Google brought me here…was listening to Silent Lucidity and thinking how Pink Floydish it sounds (vocalist aside).

• michael Kolinsky says on: June 23, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Both songs are the piniclal of my existance. i feel both to my very bone. if it was a copy or “rip off” i say great job do more!, screw the word plagerism. if it works and it feels right it dont belong to anyone but the gods of rock who wrote them. i say make more exactly like these and i will love each and every one of them just the same.

• Howard Peterson says on: July 19, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Anyone getting upset about them being influenced by the PF sound obviously didn’t live through the 80s. Hundreds of hair bands with very little difference between them & I loved them all. I loved Floyd and am thankful there is a band with a sound similar to theirs.

• Cephus says on: July 21, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Well, I can’t say I loved them all, but I certainly did appreciate a good number of them at the time. Is anyone getting upset about any of this? I was just pointing out a curious observation, but hey, people do get mad at a lot of really pointless things, so who knows?