Cephus' Corner

A Place to Share my Geeky Side With the World. Comics, movies, TV, collecting, you name it, I indulge in it.

Ever Want to Just Kill Things? - Cephus' Corner

Ever Want to Just Kill Things?

December 30th, 2013

halo

Every once in a while, I get into a mood to just kill things.  No, it’s probably not what you think, I mean in video games.  However, the kind of games I really want to play when I’m in that mood are pretty hard to find in my experience, mostly because I’ve played them all.  Therefore, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for me.

First, let me lay out the requirements, which are pretty specific.  Now I’ve played a lot of games in my life and I know what it is that I enjoy, which is why these are so particular.  It’s not that I haven’t tried other things, it’s that I have and haven’t liked them.  Therefore…

1.  Must be primarily a shooter, specifically an action shooter.  I’m not really into sneaking around, I just want to shove a gun barrel down a monster’s throat and pull the trigger.

2.  Must be a single-player game, or at least, have a single-player campaign mode.  I really have no interest in PvP.  No MMOs either please.

3.  Must be relatively casual.  I’m not looking for a challenge, I’m looking to mow down tons of baddies.

4.  I want something with character.  A perfect example of this would be Bulletstorm or the first Battlefield Bad Company game.

5. I’m not particularly interested in shooters that take place in the modern-day (CoD and the like are largely boring to me).  Futuristic if possible!

6.  Must be a PC game.  I usually don’t have access to a console when the desire to blow shit up comes to me.

So what have I played?  That list would fill a couple of posts, but just to give you an ideas of what I’ve already played, especially as it fits into the requirements:

The Halo series.  All of them

The Half-Life series.  All of them

The Left 4 Dead series.  All of them.

The Bioshock series.  All of them.

The Doom series.  All of them.

The Crysis series.  All of them.

The Serious Sam series.  All of them.

The Max Payne series.  All of them.

The Dead Space series.  All of them.

The Mass Effect series.  All of them

Bulletstorm

Fallout 3

Dishonored

… and the list goes on and on.  Those are just games that came to me off the top of my head, it’s by no means a comprehensive list.  I trust you can see my problem, most of the best shooters out there, I’ve already played and beat and uninstalled.  I can consume the content in a week or two and there are never enough good single-player games coming out to sate the need when it comes up.

So, anyone got any ideas?  Just shooters please.  All I want to do is kill.  Thanks.

Comments

9 Comments

RSS
  • Hausdorff says on: December 31, 2013 at 9:36 am

Did you like fallout 3? You could try new vegas.

What about borderlands? It’s made for coop, but works fine single player

• Cephus says on: December 31, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’ve played all of the Fallouts, I just mentioned Fallout 3 because it was the best representation of what I like to play. Fallout 3 is very much like Skyrim in that it’s a huge expansive world to explore with tons of content to devour. I’ve also done both of the Borderlands and yes, while you can play them single player, I never really had much fun with them that way, especially Borderlands 2. I’m not really sure why, to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Hausdorff says on: January 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm

hey, what about metro 2033 and metro last light? I haven’t played em yet, but they are supposed to be very good

• Cephus says on: January 2, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Played Metro 2033, haven’t done Last Night yet but it’s on my list. Maybe I’ll take a look at them.

• Hausdorff says on: January 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Or how about shadow warrior? TB said it was his 5th favorite game of 2013 and his favorite FPS in a few years. Biggest weakness was no multiplayer, which seems to be a strength for you

• Cephus says on: January 2, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Actually, I think that looks really, really cool. I’m going to get it, thanks!

• hausdorff says on: January 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm

awesome

• Cephus says on: January 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Actually, I got the game and it’s fantastic, the writing is very tongue in cheek, just like Bulletstorm. Highly recommended just for the storyline and the fortune cookies!

Thanks!

• hausdorff says on: January 4, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Great 🙂 It was just random that I happened to watch that video right after I saw this post. I’d give it a look too, but my game backlog is huge already.